In this article we review welding blankets, which are a safety equipment for welding.
In addition to your safety clothing (like leather jackets), a welding blanket protects equipment, property and the welder while welding.
This means, weld sparks and spatter will hit the welding blanket and will not burn a hole in your equipment. Moreover, welding blankets also provide protection against grinding sparks.
Welding blanket materials
In detail, welding blankets are made of flame retardent and heat resistant fibers or leather. They vary in sizes and temperature resistant classes. Overall, temperature resistance can range up to 1800°F (982°C) and you can even weld on top of some blankets.
Typical materials for welding blankets are leather, fiberglass and carbon fibers (PAN).
In addition, fiberglass works fine but can sometimes shed. Thus wear gloves when handling them because they can get itchy.
Welding blanket sizes
Besides the typical sizes which are 3′ x 3′, 6′ x 6′, 8′ x 8 ‘, 10′ x 10′ and 6′ x 4’ you can get almost any size you desire by cutting your own blanket.
Attachment of welding blankets
Some welding blankets have brass grommets to attach them. But you can also use magnets or grips to securely attach your blankets to the environment. Some people also use special sized frames to attach their welding blankets.
Insulate your BBQ Smoker with welding blankets
Moreover, I even heard of people using their blankets to insulate BBQ smokers to avoid temperature drop when it is cold outside. For smoker shielding, some people prefer blankets without fiberglass, to avoid small particles of fiberglass falling into their meat.
Top list of welding blankets
Felt High Temp welding blanket
Felt high temperature welding blanket made out of carbon fibers (PAN). This leads to a temperature resistance of up to 1800°F.
Weight: 16 oz/sq.yd.
- Precursor carbon fiber (PAN)
- 6 feet (1.83 m) x 4 feet (1.22 m) x 1/8 inches (3 mm) thick, 16 oz./sq. yd. (59 g)
- Temperature resistance of 1800°F (982°C)
- Tear-resistant; scratch-free; will not ignite
- Pliable and soft material
Neiko heavy duty fiberglass blanket with brass grommets
The Neiko heavy duty blanket is a 100% flame-retardent fiberglass welding blanket. It provides a working temperature up to 1000°F.
Pre-installed brass grommets provide easy installation and hanging.
Weight: 19.8 oz/sq.yd.
- 100% FLAME RETARDENT: durable and general purpose welding blanket to prevent property damages from sparks and spatter
- HEAVY DUTY: 19.8 oz./ sq.yd. fiberglass to provide excellent thermal protection
- PREMIUM WEAVING PATTERN: 30 x 30 per square inch for added durability and stands up to long term repeated use
Hobart heat-treated fiberglass blanket
The Hobart blanket is extra soft and brass grommets are included. It withstands temperatures up to 1000°F.
Additionally a storage bag is included.
- Superior protection
- 100% asbestos free and withstands temperatures up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit
- Reusable storage bag.
Tillman 615B33 Panoxidized Felt welding blanket
Tillmans Black ThermoFelt 3′ x 3′ welding blanket is a good choice for welders.
Besides for welding, people use this insulating blanket for their pellet smoker.
Waylander Premium welding blanket
The Waylander Premium welding blanket is 100% flame-retardant. According to the manufacturer it is made of skin friendly vermiculite impregnated fiberglass.
Thus it withstands temperatures up to 1400°F. Moreover 12 strong grommets are attached to this blanket which makes it easy for you to hang the blanket.
Waylander Premium Welding Blanket 6' x 6' 1400°F Heavy Duty Vermiculite Impregnated Fiberglass with Brass Grommets
- 100% FLAME RETARDANT - These welding blankets are the most reliable protection against heat, sparks and splatter for vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- PREMIUM PROTECTION - Specially treated fiberglass makes the blankets heat resistant until 1400°F / 750°C. For heavy duty welding or cutting, or as personal and material protection.
Steiner cowhide leather
Steiner’s natural cowhide leather protects anything from weld spark and spatters. The soft leather is good for auto body use.
Weight: ~ 3.5 oz/sq.yd.
- Premium side split rust leather
- Protects against sparks and spatter
- Excellent for auto body use
- Weight: 3.0 - 3.5 oz/yd2
- Thickness: .060" - .080"
Also read my post about welding curtains and screens (alternative for welding blankets).
Please feel free to share your experiences with welding blankets with us and leave us a short comment below.
Image Credits: https://pixabay.com/photo-1838986/